Friday, December 18, 2020

Cycling

Pushing the pedals forward

To stream past the houses, trees, and

The memories that lay hidden

In every corner of my little town

I fell in love with cycling.

My face glistening with sweat and

Eyes shining with the joy

Of suburban independence 

I set out charting my small world

A  little explorer.


Maps were formed by the sightings of 

Friends, foes, or abandoned 

Houses with promises of treasure 

Or some murky past that

Lay waiting for me to uncover.

I charted my rides through lonely 

Streets that lay inviting--

Avenues measured in dim streetlamps

And littered with flowers

All pointing me towards home.


For home wasn't a just single place

The lines on the map of my world

Traced a home wherever

It found joy, wonder, or the warmth

Of a familiar 

Place that helped me grow up a little

With every discovery